Youth Commission Application

August 6, 2010

Tulare County is seeking a District One resident to fill a vacancy on the Tulare County Youth Commission

The Youth Commission is an eleven member advisory panel of youth and education experts. The Youth Commission reviews and administers proposals for the Step Up Youth Activities Grant Program and the Step Up Service Learning Grant Program. The Youth Commission makes recommendations to the Board of Supervisors regarding which organizations should receive funding and at what levels.

The District One position was vacated by Lindsay City Councilmember Pam Kimball last month. Kimball has served on the Youth Commission since it was created by the Tulare County Board of Supervisors in May 2008.

“It has been a very rewarding experience to serve on the Tulare County Youth Commission since its inception two years ago, and share in the work of assisting and guiding some of our most vulnerable young people through creative programming in their own communities,” Kimball said. “What a pleasure to work with other dedicated commissioners, non-profit organizations, and the talented youth themselves, who blossom under the grant-funded activities. A big thank you to the Board of Supervisors for their vision and financial support of this initiative, which I hope and trust will continue on even as I am missing my own involvement with it.”

District One covers the northeastern portion of Tulare County, including the communities of Exeter, Farmersville, Lemoncove, Lindsay, Strathmore, Three Rivers, east Visalia and portions of Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks and Sequoia National Forest.

District One Supervisor Allen Ishida said he is grateful for Kimball’s two-year commitment to the Youth Commission.

“Pam was a great addition to the Youth Commission when it was first created – there couldn’t have been a better person for the job,” Supervisor Ishida said. “I commend Pam for her service and commitment to our county’s youth.”

Applications can be obtained from the Board of Supervisors Office, located at the County Administration Building, 2800 W. Burrel Ave., Visalia CA 93291-4582 or you can call (559) 636-5000 and request an application to be mailed to you.