Summer Night Lights
The Summer Night Lights program is a collaborative initiative that will begin its tenth year in Tulare County during the 2020 summer months. Summer Night Lights provides positive programming and a safe environment for youth of all ages. Community partners include the Tulare County Board of Supervisors, Tulare County Health & Human Services Agency, Boys and Girls Clubs, Tulare County Workforce Investment Department, Family Healthcare Network, CSET, Tulare County Office of Education/SEE, United Way, Tulare County Probation, Sheriff’s Department, cities, local law enforcement, school districts, local churches, and more.
Vision of the Summer Night Lights program:
• Keep a youth/family centered venue open at least one night in host communities.
• Provides full time summer employment and specialized training for 22 Tulare County youth.
• Provides positive programming for youth and families countywide.
• Allows for positive interaction between youth and local law enforcement.
• Gives youth and families a fun and safe environment.
• Serves free food to all that attended.
• Provides community organizations, including churches, a forum to introduce their services to the community.
• Serves more than 27,000 youth and adults (Summer 2015).
• Provide safe recreational opportunities for youth of all ages.
• Reduce crimes committed by and against youth during the summer months.
• Improve the local economy through jobs, training, and purchasing food and other supplies.
How to Participate:
Step Up will provide $650 per each event. Funding is to be used to cover the material cost of programming. This must include food and activities at each event. Funding may not be used to fund salaries of staff to administrate, coordinate, or supervisor programming. The minimum amount of funding that will be provided to a community is $2,600 (four events) and the maximum is $3,900 (six events). Step Up will also provide T-shirts and will print up to 1,000 fliers for each community.
As a reminder, the requirements for these events include:
-Events must take place between June and August
-Events must be free to attend
-There must be both food and a planned activity provided at the event
Swim Nights: If you are planning on hosting a swim night, the $650 provided for that night's event should go to all pool related expenses. No additional funding for rental fees will be provided.
The deadline to submit the invoice, planning, and flier document is Friday, April 3. This deadline is to ensure that your funding and fliers will be ready in time for your events. We will need the following:
1. Invoice: We cannot process the payment of funds for your events unless we have the invoice. The invoice should document the number of events and the cost of each night ($650). An example invoice template is located in Document.
2. Community Planning Document: Please provide details of the events you will be hosting. For each event, please provide a contact person for that site.
3. Flier: Please plug in the date, time, and location of your events into the template. There is space at the bottom to include contact information. If you have a preferred flier template you would like us to print, you may send that to us in a pdf document.
Please email all documents to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org